Participants are encouraged to decorate themselves and/or the bed to invite outlandish, silly, sponsored or socially relevant themes. Judges will be on site to judge these themes at the completion of the race. Creativity in costuming and overall look, as well as bed construction ingenuity, are two of the influencing factors in which the judges make their decisions! We have many great prizes kindly donated by local businesses.
Do you need some help finding parts or ideas to build your bed? Listed below are resources that will help you get your wheels rolling! This listing is frequently updated as items and ideas are available to us.
Ways to find/build a bed:
1. Ask! Family members, friends, relatives, or neighbors
2. Garage sales. You can find great accessories
3. Second Hand Stores
4. Gramma's attic or your basement
5. Berkshire County Freecycle
A FREE RESOURCE FOR BEYOND BEDS!
Just follow the directions and navigate to US Northeast, Massachusetts, and then Berkshire County
Click on the link below to visit Berkshire County Free Cycle. There are hundreds of people in the group who are giving free items like beds, bed parts, wheels, tires, etc. It's very easy. Just join the group and you will receive notifications whenever someone is giving away something you might need!
The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,534 groups with 5,395,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for FREE in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer, Berkshire County is a current member. Membership is free. Must have a free Yahoo email account to join.
Bed Construction Criteria:
1. The frame of the bed racer does not need be of an original bed, but it must mimic a real bed in appearance by having a headboard and footboard. The mattress and/or box spring must be a manufactured adult sized bed, i.e., twin, double, queen or king. The minimum mattress/box spring dimensions must be no smaller than 35"x71". This will be strictly enforced. No youth beds or cribs.
2. Beds are to have a minimum of four wheels, so situated to make the bed stable and safe. Wheels of any size may be used. You may have swivels, steering, or permanently fixed wheels. Note: fixed wheels are more than adequate.
The beds are run by human power only. They may not have any means of propulsion or brakes other than what is provided by the runners. Motors prohibitted.
3. Beds may not be pulled, only pushed from the sides and/or back.
The bed may have push bars, though they may not extend or extrude more than 18" from the bed frame. Any push bar extensions MUST BE COVERED and PADDED (foam, tennis balls, etc.). This is a safety mandate.
4. Mattress must be outfitted with a minimum of one blanket and one pillow.
Any violations of the bed construction guide lines will Result in a forfeiture of the race. ALL BEDS ARE INSPECTED THE MORNING OF THE RACE.
Fall Foliage Charity Bed Race All Rights Reserved
United, We Design